Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Recovering from Chicago

The past few weeks have been pretty busy for us as we continue traveling. This time, we spent our Labor Day weekend in Chicago since our friend, Tony, was getting married and because we'd never been. I'm so glad we went. Aside from sightseeing in this beautiful city (I wouldn't mind living there at all), we had so much fun with friends whom had traveled from all over to celebrate with Tony. One minor drawback was that I suffered some major allergies over there - weird, huh?
We flew in Friday evening, and met up with Burton and Tanya for dinner. Walking along Michigan avenue is so pretty at night since all the major structures in Millennium Park were lit up. Once we got our pizza at Giordano's Pizza, I had no idea how good it was going to be - I mean talk about cheese! We LOVED it!
Saturday morning, we got up a little early (well, early for Brad anyway) and headed to the Sears Tower, where we had a little history lesson, learning that it's the 3rd tallest building in the world - after Taipei 101 in Taiwan and the Petronas Towers in Malaysia.
After that, we had lunch near the hotel, and ventured off to the Cubs game at Wrigley Field. And yes, after the game, we joined Sooner alumni to watch the season opener...Brad could not miss that! That night, we met up with friends to help celebrate Tony and Jen's wedding the next day.
Sunday morning, we ventured over to an Italian restaurant called The Italian Village, where I had the best lasagna - it was SO creamy! We then headed over to Millennium Park and stumbled across the Magnificent Mile (shopping street).
The wedding was Sunday evening, held in the penthouse of Hotel 71 (which is where The Dark Knight was filmed - Bruce Wayne's penthouse - ha!). The view was spectacular and everyone had a great time. We partied 'til 1:30AM...the wedding started at 5:30PM!
The next day, we went to visit the Art Institute of Chicago, where we actually bumped into someone who gave us 2 tickets for $10 (normally priced $12 a piece), and before I know it, Brad's in the museum when I'm being told to check-in my backpack. I hand it over, and then am asked for $1 to cover the fee...I didn't have a dollar! And much to my embarrassment, the lady had to write an IOU!!! That should teach me! :)
We then attempted to find Soldier Field, but got lost somehow, and I wasn't happy. I was hot, tired, and sweaty. So, we found a place to chill for 45 minutes, hailed a cab to take us to the neareset L train stop, and went back to the hotel to retrieve our bags and headed to the airport. We finally arrived in Austin at 10:30PM...oh, what a trip!

1 comment:

The Keylors said...

I have always wanted to go to Chicago. I'm so glad you guys had a good time (and got back safely). : )

Love you guys!